Sunday, October 14, 2007

More on the Move (All interior-designer people look with merciful eyes!)

(Just a fun picture of Isabella hiding underndeath Will's desk before I start. )


Ah! Moving! It's not all that fun, but living in our own new place has made the minimal chaos and stress well worth it. Of course, it wasn't smooth sailing and there are a lot of things yet to be checked off our to-do lists. For instance, we haven't been able to get the drinking water thingy-majig to work on our craigslist.com-purchased fridge, and after Will and his dad spent a lot of time refinishing our bed, which looks amazing, we slipped the mattress into the frame to find out that our bed isn't a queen like the seller told us, but a king!! So annoying. And so while buying pretty much everything off of craigslist--fridge, sectional couch, mattresses, washer and dryer, tv, etc.--has spotted us some great deals, it came with a few headaches, like the headache I feel coming on when I think about having to go on a king-sized mattress hunt. Oh well. :)

Will went to Tacoma (40 minute drive) to buy the "queen" bed we found on craigslist a few months ago. It's always a little risky driving too long a distance to buy something you've only seen pictures of, even if you've asked the seller every possible question to make sure it's what you want. We once drove all the way to Seattle (1.5 hour drive with a borrowed truck that guzzles gas) to buy some couches that were in "perfect" condition only to arrive to couches that had marker drawings all over them. We obviously didn't purchase them and drove home pretty annoyed. Since then I've been even more cautious and really inquisitive before I decide to buy anything. Unfortunately, when Will got to Tacoma to buy the exotic wooden canopy bed he arrived, yet again, to a bed that was pretty trashed--scratches everywhere, filthy, dinged up-- but because the seller brought down the price and it was really cheap to begin with, he decided to buy it and came home with sand paper so we could sand it down and stain it for many FHEs to come. After four hours of sanding away during FHE refinishing activity #1 (luckily, we had two sanding machines) we were exhausted and quit. Isabella and I dropped out of the fun after the sanding was done and Will and his dad ended up doing the rest. I wish I would have taken some before pictures (picture a really old UGLY bed), but here's an after-pic. (Disregard messy bed.)





Didn't they do a great job?? I'm still on the hunt for the perfect duvet cover (not off of craigslist), but I'm having little luck finding the perfect thing. I'm way too picky about it, I know.


Will's parents, the flower gurus, helped me put flowers in our flower boxes, which I'm loving. It's really brought some color and personality to our house.


I'll throw in a few more pictures of our living room and dining room, just for fun. It all looks much better in life, but these will do:



5 comments:

  1. Love your bed! Love your flower boxes!! You're place is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie - you home is looking great!! Love the bed - great job refinishing it - (I am all into the black furniture thing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house is beautiful! I think we have some very similiar tastes, I think you used the same paint we did in our house. Oh,and the bed looks great. Good luck with all of the moving in stuff, it is always so much work, but also well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I LOVE that bed! It's gorgeous. Everything is looking awesome. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy says she wants the bed.

    JOHN

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email