Tuesday, September 2, 2008

She's Me, Sort Of

I don't know about you, but growing up I can recall my mom saying to me and each of us kids, "I hope you have a kid just like you someday." I've been thinking about that a lot lately because I keep noticing things that Maggie says or does that remind me of myself, and sure enough, they're not all positive.

You might remember me saying that she's constantly telling me that she loves me, well, even more constantly than that, she's saying, "Huh?" Pretty much, she says "huh" multiple times after anything I say to her, and it's starting to drive me crazy!

The funny and frustrating thing is I have a really hard time hearing my own mom most of the time. I'm just now starting to realize how annoying it must be for her to have to repeat herself more than two times everytime she's around me. It looks like the debate as to whether she needs a mini mic or whether I need hearing aids will pass on to the next generation. (She definitely needs a mic!)

And, of course, there are other things like how Maggie is a picky eater and how my mom tells me I was a picky eater as a kid. (I really don't remember that, but I'm so, so sorry, Mom! Picky eaters are a frustrating thing!)

Lucky for Maggie, she's different than me in all the good ways. Her imagination is seriously impressive. I can't believe how much time she spends dreaming up stories, her imaginary friends Hiya and Joey (girls) always in tow. She never stops talking in make-believe. I wish make-believe came as naturally to me.

Anyway, it's just really fun for me to watch Maggie grow up because she's me in my own family. Does that make sense? We're both the oldest and we're both girls and we both have brothers just younger than us. In a lot of ways, I feel like I'm watching myself. I watch her play a little too roughly with Magson no matter how many times I tell her that sitting on top of him and wacking him in the stomach is too rough and wonder if I did that to my little brother Matthew. I try not to get too carried away with comparisons, but I have to say, it's been enlightening, and I already hope she has a daughter just like her someday.

4 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! It's funny the things that show up in your kids that you never recognized in yourself before! I, too, wish that make believe came easier to me--it never has! When I played Barbies, I never PLAYED Barbies, I just did their hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a fun post. i meant to tell you...she waved to me at church as we walked in. totally unsolicited even! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really makes you realize the things you say a lot, doesn't it? Lately Addy's been saying "sorry" (even when she doesn't need to) and "I think" (but she says it like I fink.) So I guess I say those things a lot. I totally feel like as I watch her grow up, I am watching myself too. It's fun and I just hope I am a good example to her.
    Anyway, it was fun talking to you the other day! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could could fit in all the good from both of us and none of the bad or things we would like to loose would vanish....I agree it is fun to see things that they do and know it is looking into a mirror of your past. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email