Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Surprise!

My wedding day was perfect. In hindsight, I wouldn't change a thing. If I had to dig for something bad that happened, and it would require digging, I do recall the strap of my shoe breaking, but I still don't wish it hadn't broke.

It wasn't the strap of my white wedding shoes that broke, but my favorite pair of sandals that my generous aunt bought for me from an uppity boutique in Boise. They were made in Africa and before those dress sandals, I'd never owned a piece of apparel as pricey.

Although those sandals were my favorite and were part of my exit outfit for my Kauai honeymoon, in true MAG form I would have forgotten by now the details of how and when they broke. But because of a certain surprise, I'll never forget.

It was my mother-in-law who surprised me. When Magnet and I returned from our honeymoon we lived in his parent's basement apartment for the rest of the summer until school started back up for us down in Utah.

We'd been home from our honeymoon maybe a day or two when my mother-in-law approached me with her sweet and silly "I have a surprise for you" look on her face that all of her loved-ones know well. She was obviously hiding something behind her back.

I don't know what I expected her to pull from behind her, but it certainly wasn't my favorite shoes, once broken, now fixed! She'd overheard me telling someone that my favorite shoes had broken. She got hold of them at some point and took them to a shoe repair shop for doctoring. How simple it was, that surprise; how big it was. It spoke volumes, welcoming volumes of love.

2 comments:

  1. Well, now I have to see a picture of these fabulous sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so sweet!! what a wonderful woman, and such a welcoming gesture!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email