Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm Rich? I'm Rich! I'm Rich...

Every once in awhile, more often than I'd expect, I look into the eyes of my children and think to myself, There are millions (millions!) of sweet, innocent, funny and smart children worth every bit as much as you two, who are suffering in horrific ways. They're starving; they're abused; they're casualties of war, and a slew of other ugly things.

And every once in awhile I'll come across an image or a statistic that burns the reality of that truth deeper into me. Recently I came across a statistic at the Global Rich List that knocked me right off my middle-class American footing. If you input your annual income it will tell you how rich you are compared to the rest of the world. It's astounding.

For example, if a person made $10,000 a year, they'd still be in the top 13.31% of richest people in the world. Isn't that mind-boggling?

Or did you know that there are 2.2 children in the world and 1 billion of them live in poverty?

So next time I feel frustrated because I can't afford all of my wants-- another couch, wood floors, a Mac--I'm going to remember that there are more people than I can comprehend that can't afford their basic, basic needs. And I'm going to remember how beyond blessed I am, how beyond rich I am.

1 comment:

  1. ...that just blows me away! I checked out the link and I'm STUNNED. I am so blessed and now, even more grateful. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email