Tuesday, December 2, 2008

First and Third


I got my first speeding ticket on Sunday---boohoo. I was driving my sister to the airport, and we were running late. I had no idea I was speeding, but I was going 55 in a 40 zone, thinking it was 60. I never speed! There were six cops loitering in this construction zone, reigning swarms of speeders into their money trap. It was just plain mean, the way they were ticketing people. They were pulling people over by the dozens.

A cop made eye contact with me, jabbed the air in my direction with his pointer finger and reigned me in with his thumb. I wonder what he would have done if I had pretended not to see him. And I hate it when they always say something about how they could have made it double, but didn't out of niceness. They always say stuff like that. I should have cried.

I did cry this week--the ugly cry--(and I rarely cry) when I got mastitis for the third time since having Liam. I'd like to blame speeding ticket stress on why I got sick with mastitis--how's that for dramatic? If you don't know what mastitis is, google it. That's what I should have told my twelve-year-old brother to do when I was chatting with him earlier today. He asked me how I was doing. I told him I was sick. He asked me what I was sick with. I said mastitis. "What's mastitis?" he wanted to know. "Uh, an infection you get from nursing," is what I said. Not exactly accurate, but whatever. The truth would have been awkward for me to spit out.

I'm feeling lots better today, and quite accomplished. I got dressed. I bathed my kids. I did a couple of loads of laundry, and that's about it! I'm excited for the old me to return. Until then, I'm thankful for my Magnet who's helped carry me through this cloudy week.

15 comments:

  1. I hope you get feeling better! I've heard that mastitis is awful. And what a bummer to get a ticket. Hopefully things get better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo. I'm sorry you have mastitis--I have not had the awful misfortune to have it, but my friends and loved ones who have say it's AWFUL! And too bad about your first speeding ticket--I hate that drop in my stomach when I see a cop and quietly wonder if I'm speeding....and I'm dreading my first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will just informed me that most cops would pull over someone going 15 over, so I guess I can't boohoo too much. I just wish they had a three-strikes-you're-out system because I never speed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your mastitis again! I hurt for you! I hope you start feeling better really soon!! It's wonderful that you have such a sweet husband to help you through. I think it's funny you got a ticket because you really are such a slow driver! I remember you saying to me in the car, "Will never has to worry about me getting a ticket for speeding." hahaha I've had 3 for speeding!!

    I hope your week gets better from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you've not been feeling well and about the ticket. You all are going to Germany for Christmas...right? Well I just wanted to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a safe journey before you leave! Love you guys bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had mastitis twice with baby number four. The second time she was 22 months old, so it was actually rather awkward and embarassing to be going to the emergency room about it. Friends were telling me that it was a sign I should finally wean her, and all I could think was, "Yeah, like I want to have an infection and be engorged."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Mastitis is awful! I was wondering why Magnet dropped Maggie off at preschool yesterday. I should have asked. My bad! I'm glad to hear that things are improving though. And I say go ahead and blame the cop for it all! Why not?! I had to laugh though about you awkwardly explaining to your brother about it. Gotta love those brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that picture! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well - I hope everything gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute pic!! I felt so bad for you when I called!! I'm so glad you're feeling better! yucky mastitis...

    ReplyDelete
  10. my boobs hurt for you! gotta love being a woman, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a ticket a few weeks ago. And I couldn't find my proof of insurance so it was an awesome amount! Luckily, I can contest it but that means I have to go to court on Dec 29th. That happens to be the day after I return from my glorious vacation to CA. Once the festivities are over, real life returns with a vengence. How poetic, right? Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful picture! Because of it, I think I finally figured out who you were referring to by "Mag" and "Magnet". I think I'm just slow at some things. Hey, aren't we all?

    I've never had Mastitis (knock on wood), but I'm so sorry for ya.
    Fell better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How awful!! I've never had it, but my heart goes out to you. Good for you, keeping nursing through it all!! I've always liked Will, good pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OUCH! That's for the mastitis, it's the devil! And super cute picture of you and hubs and super cute outfit, where did you get it? Can you please come help my wardrobe so I don't turn into a frumpy housewife?! I miss having your stuff to borrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fabulous pic of you two! Love it.

    Total bummer about the ticket and the mastitis. I've had both and they are the worst!!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email