Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cool to Crochet


I learned how to crochet as a freshmen in college--way before it was cool.

One of my roommates would regularly cozy up on our ugly zigzaggy couch and crochet away, her big basket of yarn a perfect fit in our murky and ancient apartment. Some of us roommies would do a little "psst-pssst-ing" in her direction whenever we had people over. You need to put that away! we'd say with strained eyes zoomed in on her afghan project. We didn't want anyone thinking we were old-fashioned, especially not on a Friday night. We were much too cool for that.

But being the confident girl Jamie is, she paid us no heed. And I love, love, love her for that! I wish I were like her and could say I started crocheting long before a few hip celebrities brought it back.

After a semester or so of watching her, I got an itch to have her teach me--anything to make a scarf someday, I thought. So, for my birthday, Jamie took me and some others to the craft store and helped us pick out yarn, and then taught a few of us. From then on, she wasn't alone in her needlework. Apartment 105 was alive and crocheting! Many a Friday night one could find at least three of us crowded on our lone couch, tangled up in string and great girl talk, though I had a speedy hiding spot picked out for my yarn, just in case anyone came knocking. :)

Now I'm a crocheter, loud and proud! And it's funny, every Friday night I crave to cozy up on the couch and relax to the steady rhythm of my fingers tying pretty little knots as my mind is set free to ponder.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Marie, they're BEAUTIFUL! I've been teaching myself to knit this week and I'm not too happy with my results. Maybe I should try my hand at crocheting instead!

    You did an amazing job! You're so so talented at so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's weird... This is your other Melissa... I thought I was losing my mind for a minute and had already commented and forgotten! Anyhoo.... Those are amazing! I can't believe you did that! Lovely!

    Oh, I've been hanging out with Carissa a bit. Cut her hair yesterday. :) She's sweet. Makes me miss you guys though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way! I can't sit & watch TV or a movie without knitting. Gotta keep those fingers busy or I'll fall asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that post! Jamie taught me once, but alas I haven't kept it up. I'm afraid I need another lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are beautiful!! i miss your writing too!! now i want to learn how to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Marie! Honestly, what don't you do?? You are amazing! I remember Jamie teaching us to crochet....but I have completetly forgotten how...I need a refresher course :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, you guys. There's PLENTY I don't do. I'm no pro at anything I do. But I do enjoy creating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this tenant of 105 never caught that bug. I do however remember thinking, let's do something! What are they doing on Friday night crocheting?
    It's paid off, though! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive! I can't do any crocheting or knitting--nothing. So I am always so impressed with other people when they make such cool things! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so proud of how you've totally taken off with crocheting and taken it to a new level. I wish you could teach me. I am still working on the blanket Jamie helped me start way back when!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's funny. I totally remember coming over and seeing you guys crochet. I was totally jealous, but I learned how the next year after I graduated. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie,

    My friend Mindy would like that pattern. Can you share it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to crochet a few times, but it never stuck. You are one of those who really knows how to use it and actually make cute stuff! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. um, now i want to learn to crochet! :) beautiful picture, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS. I really need to be thanking Jenniferb for teaching me how to make the beanie. Jen, you should post some pics of all the cute hats you've made--they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marie, is there anything you can't do or anything you suck at??? No seriously, I need to know so I can feel better about myself. Otherwise I'm coming back as you in my next life:) -wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmmmmmm remember how I lived with you and you never told me you could let alone taught me to crochet!? Shame on you. :) Now Ava has to wear the machine-knitted hat I got her on sale for $3 at Old Navy. Not nearly as cute or quaint! :)

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email