Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Can't. I'm Not. I Don't.

I can't sing. I can't sway my hips. I can't do math in my head. I'm not good at public speaking. I can't speak loudly. I'm not a good listener. I can't focus under many circumstances. I can't hit a volleyball right. I can't read maps very well. I can't keep my house clean. I can't cook. I don't call people when I should. I can't say no to chocolate. I don't take tests well...and the list goes on...

But isn't it interesting that a baby's list is probably longer than anyone's because they really can't do most things, and yet they're the most perfect creatures and maybe the most admired people on Earth.

And while they can't do much, they're always looking up, and their eyes are filled more with hope than discouragement.

And we love to help them accomplish things--we don't get jealous.

And somehow learning to stand is the most remarkable thing, and we cheer at the sight.

I've been thinking a lot lately about all the things I can't do, but wish I could do; the things I don't do, but know I should do; the things I'm not, that I wish I were. And then I'll look closer at these photos of my kids, Magson in particular, and sigh with amazement at all that my 10-month old, 24-pound, crawling/standing baby of mine teaches me. He reminds me of how far I've come in life, and that I should take joy in the little accomplishments, cheer others on in their successes, look up and hold on to hope. It's neat for me to think that every person was a baby once-- a perfect, innocent and beautiful baby-- and that we all have the potential to make it in life.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, really beautiful! Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder and the beautiful way of putting it. We all need to be thankful for who we are. I really believe we all take too much time comparing ourselves to others and not enough time discovering our own uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take stunning photographs and express yourself beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and I agree with Pam.

    Also - you seemed to hit the volleyball just fine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that. That's SO sweet! I love it because I can totally relate. Carter is in the same stage right now, and I'm loving watching him grow and develop. It's fun to see Addy get as excited as us when he claps or plays peek a boo or stands or crawls. I need to focus more on the simple, positive things!
    And it's so easy to get down on ourselves with all the things we don't do or should do, etc. You are so good with words. It's like you can type out exactly what I'm thinking and feeling!

    Magson is so handsome!!

    Oh, and I think you're a good listener...at least to me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Marie that was so powerful! You are so very talented. I admit that I am sometimes envious of you. You are a great writer, amazing photographer, great mom, you are in good shape, you get to travel a lot, you have a nice house and so much more that I don't even know about. Reading this entry made me remember that we all have are struggles and weaknesses. You are so right that we need to focus on all that we accomplish. We need to have compassionate thoughts about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful!!i loved that, the words and the pictures. so true too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU for posting this. And just remember...when I look at you, and probably when everyone else looks at you...do you know what we see? We see all that you CAN do! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm guessing this would be the one you talked to me about posting so that everyone knew that you weren't good at everything. A great perspective on the whole thing. Amazing! The pictures are fabulous...do you guys live near a forest? Love those ones with the bright green moss. Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Picture number four is perfect, Marie. I love the way you are composing your pictures. You have a very special talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The potential is unbelievable and thinking about what they will become just makes me feel good inside. PS. Love the moss on the log!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and inspiring post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw Marie, you made me cry! You are truly one of the greatest people I know, even if you can't sway your hips or say no to chocolate! (I have a hard time with that one too, btw.) I loved all those pictures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the thoughts (you always seem to know just how to make me ponder...) and - love the pics - especially the last one (little man standing! = soooooo cute!!!)

    We all have talents and we all have admiration and even envy for some qualities that we wish we had. My own list is long - but I just have to remind myself that if we were ALL talented and good at everything - how boring would THAT be??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does Liam have freckle on his nose by his eye? He is just way to cute. I love the first picture. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email