Friday, June 5, 2009

Love Me a Pear Tree

A few weeks ago I headed to bed after a traditional late evening of editing pictures that always leaves my eyes overworked and droopy. My heavy legs made their ritual zombie trek to each of the doors in our house, verifying all was locked for the night. Next, at the foot of our stairs, I paused for a moment as I wrapped my sweater tightly to my body and pulled its hood over my hair, as if I were about to forge an uphill climb in a chill that increased with the altitude. At last, I ascended the stairs to a metronome rhythm of about one stair per second, finally summiting at our bedroom door.

I entered, and then stopped. I did some exaggerated blinking and eyeball lifts to make sure my contacts were in place because a double take was definitely in order.

Why?

Oh, because there was a big green unidentifiable plant sitting at the foot of our bed. Come to find out after reading the attached note, it was a pear tree, symbolizing our five years of marriage—strong, fruitful, growing. The note said a lot of things that would send any girl’s heart aflutter, but a simple “I love you” was its essence. And then at the bottom: “PS. Pack your bags for a little getaway.”


Happy fifth anniversary to me! I flew down the stairs to hug Magnet from behind and kiss him on the cheek before springing back up every other stair to get another look at my pear tree and reread my note. I love surprises. I love handwritten words of affection. I love a get-a-way!

The next morning I packed the kids up for an overnighter at Grandma’s house. After dropping them off, Magnet and I swung back by our house to plant my pear tree before leaving for the mystery destination. Watching Magnet dig deep into the earth in the far corner of our yard to plant it made me smile so effortlessly; there was no choice about it, my cheeks lifted at the sight. I told him I’m going to want to uproot that tree and bring it with us every time we move.


We left and found ourselves in heavy traffic. We puttered along at a turtle's pace, but it was no matter. Our windows were rolled down to let in the uncharacteristically warm summery weather; we were together, talking, laughing, confiding. Throughout the drive, I kept noticing how he listens so intently and dreams so big for me.

And then we were there! We pulled into Alderbrook Resort and Spa located on the Hood Canal and spent a relaxing two days together! I got to eat in peace, sleep in peace, wake up in peace. It was the perfect surprise destination. He humored me and let me take a million pictures of him, and we tried to get a few of us together with the timer (not too successful). We sat down to a fancy dinner with a seafood menu we weren't in the mood for. So, when our waiter wasn’t looking, we ditched our menus and ice water and headed to a burger joint down by the water where we ate juicy hamburgers and greasy fries. We laughed so hard when after a feisty debate over a topic we don't see eye-to-eye on, I finally said, "here we are, celebrating our fifth anniversary, and I did not know this about you!" We could hardly chew, we found it so amusing and refreshing, to still be discovering new things about each other. (Even testy things.)


The next morning we slept in and then picked up our beautiful kids and came home to our house with the pear tree growing out back. And there it was, the stream of thought I have on a daily basis: I’m so glad I said yes.

15 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the pear tree and meaning of it! What a wonderful surprise! I love the illustration you created with your words. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing, Marie! I am glad you had a great time. Thanks for posting! Great photo's by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun for you! That sounds so nice! What a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie, I LOVE this post!! What a great surprise, what a great anniversary, what a great couple you two are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's lovely, and the photo of the feet says so much. That should be an anniversary card. Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! i'm glad you guys were able to get away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aawwww! I totally teared up at this beautiful recollection of a perfect anniversary symbolizing a perfect union and a perfect couple!! I am sooooooo happy for you!! (he's a keeper!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. me too!! i am so tearing up!! it sounds like a romance novel :)!! i need ben to read this :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. really cute and adorable. The perfect surprise. I love the alderbrook resort. It is so nice and not too far away! They have great Mother's day and girlfriend packages too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you said yes too!! That's SO sweet!! Happy 5th Anniversary! Wow, I remember when you guys got married! So cool! That's seriously so thoughtful of Magnet. Enjoy your pear tree. I hope it's fruitful for you. We have one actually. It wasn't great last year, but it looks like it's going to be great this year...I think that's what usually happens, so don't get discouraged :) Oh, and your story about ditching the restaurant made me laugh and smile because we totally did the same thing once. Jaran took me to this really nice restaurant for my birthday, and we both walked in and sat down feeling so underdressed when our waiter came in a tux and placed our napkins on our laps for us. We didn't even take a sip of water before we did the same thing...ditched our menus and went to a restaurant where we felt more ourselves and more comfortable. That's cute you guys went to the beach. I'm so glad you married him :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, this was SO sweet. Made me smile :) Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! How precious and what a great gift--that Magnet's so wonderful!! I'm taking Gib on a surprise trip for his birthday, but he knows we're going somewhere, just not where!

    Happy Anniversary! 5 years is fantastic, here's to 50 more!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was the sweetest story! You really are an incredible writer. I see you posted at 10:45....my brain is functioning at a minimum at that time, definitely no eloquence in me! :- ) Congrats on 5 happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great anniversary! You married quite the romantic. How fun!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email