Thursday, September 16, 2010

Table and Chairs--Check.

Whenever I'd visit my friend Mamalia's house, I'd always compliment her on her table--I loved it! It was a darkish brown, and I thought it look fabulous in her house. Little did I know, she hated her dining table--her husband detested it most of all. She got a great deal on it at a garage sale, and like a girl of my own heart, couldn't pass up the find. But considering that "Mamalia and the Hooligans" (that's the name of her blog) are little people, the bar height wasn't the best fit for their fam.

When she decided it was time to find her table a new home, I was glad she called me before listing it on Craigslist. It had some broken chairs, and ideally, I'd always wanted a white table, but it was much better than the dining table we had, and she was selling it to us for a fabulous price. So, we bought it, and my sweet Magnet even told me he'd help fix it up just the way I wanted. I was thrilled.

Seven or so months later, it is finally complete! And I am more in love with this dining set than ever. We really enjoyed white washing the table. It was the chairs that killed us. Sanding them all down was arduous, but Magnet did all that. We primed them together, which was hard because these eight chairs (two are sitting around our island) have a million angles and sides. At first, I thought the chairs should be green. So, I bought this spring green paint and tested it on an end table I'd been wanting to paint. "Kermit the frog" would be an appropriate way of describing how that turned out. First wrong color: check. Next, I consulted every single female I know, and decided the chairs should be taupe. After painting seven of the eight chairs taupe, and having the chairs sit around our table for a good month, I decided I hated that look. I was so discouraged and my sweet husband, also discouraged, said this project was no long ours, but all mine.

With him out of the game, I sat on the project for awhile in order to stock up on some much needed motivation. Eventually, I decided the chairs would be perfect in a sea-salt color (verypale blue/green), and so I painted a few chairs that color. Scratch that. Too light. Finally, it occurred to me to paint them the same shade of blue that is on our accent wall in the living room. I adore them this color! And my true love even jumped back in the game and helped me give them a double coat and he distressed them for me. I was actually glad we had that taupe color underneath because it looks great coming through the blue. A couple coats of Deft Clearwood Finish later, and this baby is complete!

In a few months, when I have gallery wraps hanging on the wall and a fresh bouquet of flowers sitting on the table, I'll show you a pull-back shot of the finished room because after all, I'm married to a florist, and he's married to "a tographer" (as my kids say it), and anything less just wouldn't do.




13 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that was Lia's old table. I had talked to her about it, because I've always liked the idea of a square table, however, I'm also short and didn't want the bar height table. Her new table is actually the one that ABC and I were planning to buy at world market, but now I'm not sure they even sell it anymore.

    Anyway, it looks amazing now. Great job to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You are always inspiring me to do stuff! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looove it. So pretty and perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. You will love having a pre-distressed table. Even though mine was not as great of a price as yours, when something terrible happens to it by people in the home under 3 feet tall.... I really don't care! It just adds more character. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L O V E it. can't wait to see the final 'tograph!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great! I remember when you were debating about using the same blue that you have on your wall. I'm so glad that it turned out well. That was a HUGE project! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful! ...and beachy! Sofi saw it and told me what a sucker I was for getting rid of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so breezy and light--my favorite look!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so pretty! The color is perfect. I'm glad you're so happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I am going through the incredibly arduous process right now of finding a dining set that I really love, because for the past month and a half, we've just been using camp chairs and a sofa end table!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email