Friday, November 19, 2010

Then and Now


I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't a very attentive sibling to the three babies of our family when I was in high school and living in the house pictured above. I don't remember much of them, and they don't remember much of me. But when I went off to college, I'd come home and soak these three up. They were still the babies, although at one point we made a conscious effort to clump them as "the little kids" since as five, six and seven-year-olds, we couldn't really get away with that anymore.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a favorite memory of them from my home-from-college days and a favorite memory from our recent trip home:

Back then, I remember snuggling up with Lissie in her bed and listening to her tell me about every single person in her class. We'd pretend to have a sleepover and then after she'd fall asleep (or at least fake it, anyway), I'd tip toe out of her room. I thought she was the most perfect baby sister. So beautiful with a pinch of sass.

Now, I still think she is the most perfect baby sister. It's really not fair that so much beauty and character could be bottled up in one person. She sings, plays the guitar and piano; she's a ballroom dancer and ballerina, and she's a genuinely nice girl. My favorite moment with her on this last trip was when she came up with a melody for some song lyrics I started writing about my kids. Got me all teary. Now I just need to finish writing them, so that she can finish putting such a sweet tune to it.

Back then, my favorite thing about Christian was the way he adored my dad. He'd come home from church and hang his little suit jacket on the chair right next to his. And I remember one time watching Christian walk to the nearby German school he attended and how he kept turning around and waving to my dad in the window.

Now, he still adores my dad. While we were in Germany, I often caught the two of them sitting together--Christian asking my dad question after question about history and the economy, and my dad giving the most thorough and heartfelt answers. So sweet, the bond they share.






Back then, Bryant was the most playful and fun-loving little boy you could ever meet. He'd run to me when I'd come home from college (the sister he hardly knew) and wrap me in a tight hug. His excitement at seeing me always touched me.

Now, he doesn't do the run and hug me thing so much when I come home, but boy does he know how to play with my kids! He's a terrific Uncle B.

And here's my sweet parents. They deserve a post full of wonderful memories entirely their own, but for now, a favorite thing I'd like to tell you about them, is that I've never met a couple more in love. That was then and it's most definitely now.





Yeah, I'm a huge fan.

17 comments:

  1. Love it! Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still tend to refer to them as the "little kids" even though they're all in high school now. Kids grow up too fast! Thanks for the fun photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your family. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a fortunate girl to have a family so full of love! They are gorgeous! Love your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Will you be posting more photos of your kids soon, hint hint? :- )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your family is great, even though I only got to know them a few weeks, I still have the best memories. I can't believe how grown up they are...and how young your mom still looks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post. The ones of mom and dad are so so cute. Mom is so gorgeous! I wanna frame every single one and put them in my house. Also, LOVE the one of all 5 in the leaves. You're amazing, Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures and such sweet words. You are blessed to have them and they to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful family and wonderful people too! It makes me miss them, especially your parents because I remember the younger three as little kids too. Seeing pics from Germany makes me want to go back so bad! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is so wonderful! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so beautiful each and every image, and the words to go with them just make them all the more stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these Marie!! :) sometimes I feel sad that the three little kids are all grown up...they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Marie! Those are amazing images that capture their love for each other in such a vibrant way. I love your sweet memories of them. You are a perfect older sister and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, I love those pictures! And I love your family!! I can't believe how grown up they all are! I bet your parents just love having those 3 at home with them. And I love those pictures of your parents! Such a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email