Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pixie Dust

Over Christmas Lissie and I decided we wanted to write a song together about my kids--I'd write the lyrics and she'd head up the music. So, I finally finished putting together lyrics this week and then in like two days she came back with THIS:

Isn't she incredible? I've cried now three times over this song...



I stand back and sigh at the torrent of toys
That keep cluttering our living room floor,
Scoot it aside, plop down in the middle of the mess.
My kids' make believe-play is the background noise.

I flip through the pages of a magazine,
Inside its cover, I see picture perfect things--
Everything put together and pretty.
I imagine myself in one of those scenes.

But he says: “I wanna hold you” as his arms reach up to me
She says my baby girl “is the cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world”
And I say “I wanna story book my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me”

Legs crossed, chin in hand, I look over at them,
I smile as she mimics me on her fancy phone,
He claps a hand to his ear and answers big sis,
Both unconscious of their flawless beauty.

My baby's dimpled hands crawl to me,
I lift her high, see her bright eyes so happy,
She squeals with laughter as I gobble her chin,
And my life lights up with love, pure love.

Cuz he says: “I wanna hold you” as his arms reach up to me,
She says my baby girl “is the cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world”
And I say “I wanna storybook my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me.”

Fingerprints on the walls,
Crumbs all over the floor,
Laundry pile so tall,
I think I might fall over.
Way too often am I,
Overwhelmed by this life,
Yes, their scribbles have made it
Into these pages.

But oh so soon, I'll ache for little hands,
I'll miss reading bedtime stories and watching them sleep,
I'll miss the patter of their little steps,
Or the feeling of them tugging on my jeans.

Love how he says: “I wanna hold you” as his arms reach up to me,
She says my baby girl “is the cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world”
And I say “I wanna storybook my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me.”

I want it all to come back to me.

And I'll secretly stash
Some of their pixie dust
And I'll fly myself back,
To when I loved everything.

{Post edit: My brother Christian did a quite professional recording of Lissie singing Pixie Dust, which can be found HERE.}

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! What a talent!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speechless.....seriously, that is beyond amazing. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are amazing! Loved it! And I love you gals too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So completely beautiful, as are the both of you. What a precious gift to yourself and to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only read the text on my phone but still crying. Why can't they stay babies?

    So talented. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this touching song. You girls really captured how a young mother feels on a daily basis. Lissie's music fit really well in with your words. Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are both amazingly talented! What a wonderful song. Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it! She has such a beautiful voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making me cry you amazing, awesome mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. both songs are amazing! Marie, I LOVE your lyrics. So sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So awesome. So sweet. What a fun thing to do together. Your baby sis is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie, what beautiful lyrics! And what a beautiful voice and music from your sister. You should go into business together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was amazing! What a treasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much, everyone! I've always wanted to have a song about my kids. And most of all, thank you, Lissie, for putting the lyrics to such beautiful music! You know what a fan I am of you, my sweet sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sitting here listening while baby #3 is playing on my lap... Lissie and Marie: in a word: PERFECTION

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email