Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Snaps: Awkward and Awesome

Have you heard of The Daybook?


It's a fashion blog, and I'm hooked. It's partially because I met this Sydney girl very briefly in Germany a few years ago, partially because I am enamored with how modelesque and comfortable she is in front of the camera, and partially because she makes me laugh. Every Thursday she posts her awkward and awesome moments from that week. Even though it's not Thursday, I felt like playing along, so here it goes:

{Awkwards}:

*Breaking the glass that went inside some picture frames I recently got from Goodwill. Let me explain...

While the frames were drying from their several doses of metallic bronze spray-paint (color of which I'm not sold on--help!), I left the glass out on our dining table for a few days. But then in a mad dash to get ready for company, I hid the glass in the corner of our office...on the floor. Duuuuumb, dumb-dumb. Dumb. The rest of that story is shattered history, except that I must admit, this wouldn't have been that awkward had I adhered to the "Babe, if you leave the glass out like that, it's going to break" comment from my true love.

*Fast forward to Friday night, date night. It's my turn to pick what we do, so I take Will and a measuring tape back to Goodwill to sift through more frames and find replacement glass in the sizes I need. I was soaking in the compliments from Will about what a brilliantly thrifty idea this was until he wondered (aloud), "Why are you measuring frames with no glass?" Yup. I don't know, except that my brain goes MIA all too often.

*Fast forward a few hours later. We're at home and the kids are upstairs taking a bath. I can't wait to get my photos into those frames, so I give Will bath duty and start putting everything together. And yep, you guessed it. I break the glass for the biggest frame again. And slice my finger. I sheepishly go back upstairs and tell Will the you're-never-gonna-believe-this news. Ouch.

*Fast forward approximately one hour. The kids are in bed and I go back to Goodwill minutes before closing time to hunt down another 22X28 frame with glass in it. There isn't one, so I come home and talk Will into hanging all my pictures anyway, including the big one with the chunk missing from the bottom corner. Class-y.



...Ready for some more awkwardness?

*Walking around all day with only one (big/dangly/hoop) earring because I'm too lazy to find backs that morning, so one of the earrings falls out. Of course, my hair is in a fancy up-do (code for mommy pony tail) so that everyone but me will be sure to notice and not tell me.

*At a family birthday dinner, Magson is asked to take a piece of carrot cake to his daddy. Instead of walking it over to him, he throws it across the room. Cake explosion all over Great Grandma's carpet. I have to look the other way and bite my bottom lip to tame my laughter. You know, the uncontrollable kind that sneaks up on you when you are shocked and embarrassed and speechless?

{Awesomes}:

*Going to TX to see my sisters and their babies...I know that's old news, but still...so awesome!




But you didn't know this: I also got to meet up with Abby, an old college roommate. She was the one I cried to when Will and I were engaged and I kept getting in fender benders everytime he let me borrow his car. Now that's something for the awkward category. Are you impressed with my high aptitude for ditzyness or shocked that I managed to get married?

Anyway, I love you, Abby!



*Skyping with my family before church and my dad complimenting me on my curly hairdo. I finally figure out how to get curls to stay in my hair, and my sweet dad notices. Yesss.

*Getting a surprise love gift from Will's mom... a pot of flowers for my porch! I love that lady!

*Working out twice this week even though it meant not showering until my day was half over. I keep telling myself that ten years from now I'm not going to think, Darn you, Marie. Why didn't you shower first thing every morning? Nope, I'm not going to have to much heartburn over that, but I'm pretty sure I'll think, Why didn't you exercise!!!?

*The spontaneous and heartfelt "I love you" I got from Magson after we were finally snuggled up in his bed after a long and tiring day. I'd just finished tackling him and coercing him into his jammies with lots of "you're *this close* to losing your book" threats. I wasn't exactly feeling like a rockstar mom, so the timing couldn't have been more, well, awesome.

12 comments:

  1. How much fun to have the three of you all having babies at the same time! That is so awesome. (More so if you lived closer together, but you know... :) ) I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: How do you get curls to stay in your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this awesome & awkward's post. Now that you've done it, I just might too (after the 30 day challenge is over) I think it's a really great writing topic!!
    Magson throwing that carrot cake was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I love you. Yippee I made the blog!!! And I had to laugh thinking of Will's poor Taurus! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your awkward and awesomes!! :) way fun to read! I think it's funny how annabelle is passed out in all of those pictures haha! so cute! I miss you guys!
    I hope this Valentine's day isn't too crazy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you get curls to stay in???? I've battled that one for years too! I love the pics of you three sisters with you babies. <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously love this! Especially the carrot cake! Oh my goodness I would have died laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my excitement to get my pictures yesterday, I forgot to compliment you on your curls. I thought your hair looked so pretty! I think it's sweet that your dad noticed.

    I loved reading about all of your awkward moments. Hmmmm... I wonder if I dare to write a similar post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading about your ditziness, because you so don't come across as a ditzy person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, that's nice of you to say, Pam. I don't consider myself ditzy all of the time, but I sure have my moments...or maybe I'm just in denial. :)

    Leslie and Emma, I don't have any magic formula for the curls staying, but for some reason when I use my tiny half-inch curling iron, they stay. I also have super fine hair, though. The curls are a little tight at first but they loosen. I don't use hairspray or anything, they just stay. It's weird to me that I used to have such naturally curly hair b/c it is so straight now!

    Oh, and about Magson's cake incident. It was a leftover piece of cake in a tupperware. I hope that he wouldn't chuck a piece of cake on a plate...but you know, I guess I wouldn't put it past him. :)

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email