Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Child's Prayer


Usually Magson kneels with his head in the pillow and says something like this over and over again during his prayers:

I thank thee that we could have a great, great day...
I thank thee that we could have a great, great time,
And I thank thee for this great, great day...

I've been trying to help him think of more things to say, and this last week I've especially encouraged him to ask for some patience. Or maybe it's me that needs the patience? Anyway, to my surprise and despite his muffled voice, I've managed to catch a few pleas for patience here and there. But I haven't been able to catch everything, and since his prayers have suddenly gotten considerably longer and less repetitive, tonight I stuffed my head into the pillow next to his so I could hear better.

This is what I caught:

Dear Heavenly Father,
We thank thee for this great, great day.
Please bless me to be patient.
Please bless me to have my own dad.
Please bless me to have my own mom.
Please bless me to have my own friends...

After he said "amen," I immediately asked him what it meant when he said he wanted his own mom?! I was feeling really sad that he was basically saying he didn't have a mom, a dad or friends. Heartbreaking!

His grinning reply: "It means I love you. I'm pretty sure that's what it means."

Whew.

9 comments:

  1. He is too precious :) How sweet to hear his little prayers. Love that you put this on the blog! :)
    And I think it's hilarious/brilliant you have him pray for patience! Haha. I'm totally gonna start having Annabelle pray for that too ;) (although, I'm pretty sure since she's only 1, I'M the one that should be praying for more patience!) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, Marie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Sounds like he loves you so much he doesn't want to share you with his sisters!

    We all need more patience- so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for documenting this! Nothing sweeter than a kid's prayer.=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh that is the cutest thing ever! of course he loves you! so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so adorable!! Cute cute post Marie! I miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet. I think at this age (ty, too) the "please bless" and "thank thee" are pretty interchangeable. I'm pretty sure he loves you! =)

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email