Tuesday, March 27, 2012

East Coast Escapade

I wanted to post a bit about our east coast escapade! Will and I said goodbye to our kids for about SIX days (not easy), and flew to Boston for a florist convention. While Will was in meetings, I got some really great R&R in. Here is a view of Boston from our hotel window.


I slept in two straight mornings in a row, ate delicious breakfasts without having to lift a finger, worked out, did my hair, and even got gutsy and figured out the metro all by myself. During my solo venture into the city I did some of my favorite things-- window shopping and people watching. For our entire trip we had bright, sunshiny weather.


It was neat to see old architecture cozied up to modern skyscrapers, all so different from the rural scenery back home in Washington.



When Will got out of his meetings on our second day in Boston, we crammed as much as we could do into that afternoon and evening before our bus left for NYC. We toured an enormous flower design center for most of it. It was really eye opening, and got us dreaming of ways we'd love to improve our flower shops.


After our tour, we did the freedom walk,  grabbed gyros, and then raced off to the train station where we would catch our bus to New York! We made it to the station with 10 minutes to spare, and just a few blocks away, there happened to be a flower shop Will really wanted to see. I told him I'd stay put and watch our luggage if he wanted to sprint and take a peek. It was fun to see him book it.

While he was gone, a man came up to me, told me I was pretty, and then quickly asked for a dollar. I quickly gave him one, hoping he'd scat. He walked a little ways off, but not a minute later, he pointed to a man leaning on the same wall as me, about ten feet away, and hollered at me, "Excuse me, do you know him?!" I shook my head, no.

And then he got in this man's face. 

"You need to leave this young lady alone. Will you please leave. You're bothering her!"

"He's not bothering me, " I told him. 

The man on the wall didn't budge, but when "my protector" finally did back off, the guy left, and I was all alone with the weirdo.

"That was really strange how that guy wouldn't leave, wasn't it?" the man spoke to me again. "I'm so sorry he was bothering you."

And then Will showed up! Whew! We ran to our bus and slept through our ride to NYC! It was kind of exciting to arrive there in the middle of the night. The city was definitely poppin'! We checked into our hotel,  and called it a night. 


The next day is a bit of a blur for me because we saw so much of New York City via foot and metro. We rarely got to sit down on the metro because it was always jam-packed. And when we did, we usually didn't get to sit next to each other.




We also got some shopping done, mainly for Will. He scored two much-needed pairs of shoes, and I scored souvenirs for the kids, who I was missing terribly. Forever21 always reminds me of my sisters, so I snapped a picture of that.


I can't possibly do NYC justice with all the pictures I took, but it was awesome to see the sites I'd only ever seen in pictures, that's for sure.


We saw ground zero, Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, Time Square, Broadway, Central Park...  I loved how I saw so many American flags. They were everywhere. We were really hoping to see Wicked, but the cheapest tickets we could find were more than we wanted to spend... we were both bummed about that.  


For lunch we ate a yummy pizza place that had a really pretty stain-glass ceiling.



We woke up at 4am the next morning to catch a bus to beautiful D.C. I loved it there! Such a clean city, with gorgeous buildings.


My brother also lives there, which made me love it all the more! He showed us around and it was fun to catch up and visit.








Matthew had to go to work at 4pm, so after seeing him, we went to the Lincoln Memorial and then took a quick metro ride to Alexandria, Virginia to meet up with one of my best high school friends, Aurelie. She was so sweet to us, having us over for a delicious dinner at her place. I loved getting to catch up with her!


We were exhausted by the end of that day and slept in the next morning, until like 11am! I couldn't believe it, granted there is a 3-hour time difference, but still! On our way to the airport to catch our flight home, we made one last stop at the Arlington National Cemetery. It was a gorgeous and very humbling place to be.




And that about scratches the surface, I suppose! It was so, so good to come home to the kids. I can't thank my in-laws enough for taking such good care of them. It was comforting to know they were spending time with some of their favorite people in the world.

10 comments:

  1. I am insanely jealous, I won't lie. Some of my favorite places to visit, nice weather, sleeping in.....it all sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I'm glad you had such a nice trip. The weather looks like it couldn't have been better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to D.C. for very short, inadequate trips. Absolutely love your pictures, of course, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I LOVE the one of the old architecture reflected in the new buildings in Boston. Amazing! Glad you had a great time and were safe! Scary bus station!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the pictures. Glad you and Will got to take that fun trip together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! That guy sounds totally creepy. Glad Will came back to save you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of the pictures. Glad your creeper tried to rescue you from another non-creeper! haha! So weird!

    Also glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to hear about your trip. I was excited when you called me from the airport! So glad you got to have a nice getaway, and that's awesome you got to meet up with your brother. You have friends all over the place it seems like! That's fun you got to meet up with Aurelie. I remember hearing about her.
    Looks like you guys were able to see and do a lot. Oh I like your bangs! That's weird about those guys bothering you! I'm so not a city-girl for that reason I think! Glad you were ok. Hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always love a good trip to the east coast. Sounds like you guys had a great time. How fun to cram so much into such a short time. Love trips like that. Your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email