Friday, December 28, 2012

A Very Merry (And White!) Christmas

I'm still trying to figure out Christmas Eve at our house. I want all these magical and spiritual things to be happening that day, but it always feels like a weird day to me because Will has to work (it's a super busy day in the flower biz). I know there are plenty of people who work on Christmas Eve, so I'm not really complaining. I'm just not used to it. My dad was always home on Christmas Eve, making it feel more like a holiday to me, and I think I tend to just gravitate to what I know, and have expectations based on my own childhood experiences. So! That said, Christmas Eve (during the day) felt a lot like any other day, but we did (minus Liam) paint our fingernails red, and we did organize all of our wrapping supplies, so that was fun/different, haha. But mostly, I did a lot of cleaning while the kids asked me just about every other minute if it was time to go to Auntie Kay's house yet for the evening festivities. My goal for next year is to come up with some day-time spiritual traditions, even if Will isn't there for them.

At last (I'm feeling really dramatic), Will did come home, and it was time to get all dressed up and head out the door! They looked darling in their Christmas outfits.

IMG_5430Christmas2012
IMG_5437Christmas2012
IMG_5441Christmas2012

Will's extended family takes turns hosting a Christmas Eve get together in the evening (with the most delicious food, btw), and we always love spending time with them. The kids even got to open a few early Christmas gifts, which they loved!

IMG_5506Christmas2012
IMG_5521Christmas2012
IMG_5527Christmas2012

When we got home around 9pm, we put out some goodies for Santa, read some Christmas stories, and then tucked everyone into Liam's bed. This year we thought we'd start the tradition of having the kids all sleep together. They loved it, and despite their extreme excitement, they conked out pretty quickly because they were pooped! I think it was after 10pm when they were finally situated, so Will and I could begin all of our wrapping! I feel like a crazy person for leaving it all to the last minute, but I also kind of like it. Again, I grew up wrapping my presents the night before Christmas, so I guess it's programmed in me to do it this way.

IMG_5535Christmas2012
IMG_5548Christmas2012
IMG_5581Christmas2012

The next morning I got the classic "kids on the stairs" picture-- just barely in the nick of time. Juliette was on the move!

IMG_5600Christmas2012

The kids were really sweet about their gifts. Liam kept saying, "AWE-SOME!" I don't necessarily have pictures of them with their Santa gifts, but this year Liam asked for a light saber. Isabella changed her mind a million times, but at the last minute had her heart of hearts set on having real bells off of Santa's sleigh. Juliette didn't really have a particular wish, so she was surprised and happy with a wooden doll castle. All of their wishes were granted! They must've been good kids this year!

IMG_5603Christmas2012
Christmas2012-3
IMG_5653Christmas2012
IMG_5671Christmas2012

It even started snowing really hard while we were opening presents! I don't think the kids have ever had a white Christmas, and I can't really remember the last time I did, so that was awfully exciting and definitely added to the magic of Christmas morning!

IMG_5704Christmas2012

Next we got showered and cleaned up a bit and skyped with my family. I always especially miss my family at Christmas, so it was awesome to see most of their faces and hear their voices. It sounded like they had a really happy Christmas as well. After talking with them, we headed out into the snow and drove to Grandma Rise and Grandpa Billy's house for some more Christmas fun.

Christmas2012-4

After a delicious brunch, Grandma Rise had the kids dress up and act out the Christmas story. I loved watching that. It was a great reminder on Christmas day of the reason for the season. I'm so thankful that Jesus was born and lived the life he did. I hope my kids are beginning to understand the magnitude of who He is, and the gift he's given us.

IMG_5716Christmas2012
IMG_5724Christmas2012

We finished off the day by exchanging more gifts, taking some much-needed naps, and just enjoying the company of such wonderful loved-ones.

IMG_5743Christmas2012
IMG_5772Christmas2012
IMG_5786Christmas2012
IMG_5787Christmas2012
Christmas2012-1

Merry Christmas to all!

5 comments:

  1. Love that they all slept in the same bed :) So cute and reminds me of sleeping with the "babies" on Christmas eve...back in the day :)
    Looks like you had such a beautiful Christmas.
    Oh, and I'm totally with you on the Christmas Eve stuff. I haven't quite figured mine out yet either. But I want it to be more like the ones we enjoyed while growing up :) Mom was always so good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could have been together. I would have loved seejng the Christmas nativity with the kiddos. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we could have been together. I would have loved seejng the Christmas nativity with the kiddos. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. They looked GORGEOUS in their little outfits. I'm sure you'll figure out your Christmas Eve stuff. It seems like traditions evolve as the kids get older.

    LOVE all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove these Christmas pictures! They are so perfect. The kids looked so so cute! I miss them :( I wish that we could have seen each other while I was in WA :(

    And how fun that it snowed!!! That really is so magical :) It actually snowed in Dallas on Christmas day too and that like never happens! haha

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email