Sunday, January 20, 2013

I Heart Gymnastics!

IMG_6241OpenGym2012
OpenGym2013-2
IMG_6245OpenGym2012
OpenGym2013-1
IMG_6257OpenGym2012
IMG_6263OpenGym2012
IMG_6287OpenGym2012
IMG_6307OpenGym2012
IMG_6310OpenGym2012
IMG_6311OpenGym2012
IMG_6328OpenGym2012
IMG_6341OpenGym2012
IMG_6346OpenGym2012
IMG_6352OpenGym2012
IMG_6362OpenGym2013
IMG_6371OpenGym2013
IMG_6373OpenGym2013
IMG_6389OpenGym2013

When I watched Isabella take her first gymnastics class a few months ago, my heart pounded and my eyes welled up. It was a bit ridiculous, but I LOVE gymnastics, and to see my daughter do something I loved to do so much as a kid was just really awesome. I even went so far as to convince Liam to try it out, too, since he loves jumping on our trampoline, he's coordinated, and I wanted to sign him up for something, yet wasn't quite ready to keep up with multiple extra curricular activities. For right now, I felt it best to have them doing the same extra thing. It took some bribery to get Liam down on the floor, but ever since that first class he tried out, he's absolutely loved it, and is quite good even!

These pictures are from the other Saturday when we went to a session of open gym with our friends. I was all dressed and ready to go down on the floor with the kids. (I couldn't wait!) But it turns out both Juliette and I weren't allowed to. You have to be enrolled in a class to participate. Juliette was heartbroken, poor thing. What made it worse was I had her all dressed and ready to go to an open gym session the previous Saturday, only to realize just as we were headed out, that it was still closed for Christmas break. So I felt extra bad when we got there, and I had to tell her that I was wrong again and she couldn't do gymnastics again.

You should've seen the tears and the look on her face. 

"I exercise in my exercise clothes, Mommy!"

It was just sad that she had to watch the kids have fun for two hours without her. She so wanted to be out there with them. 

Entering this "extra curricular" phase of parenthood has also made me all the more grateful to my parents for the serious time and money they spent to let me do this thing I loved so very, very much. I always loved it, but didn't really appreciate it like I should have back then. But I understand a little better now what a huge sacrifice that must've been considering I was practicing three times a week with meets on the weekends... and considering that there were seven of us kids! But I also understand better now how easy it is to want to do those extra things for your kids because you love them so much and it's fun to see them succeed and develop talents. 

It's neat to come full circle like that. I think that's what got me all teary in the first place.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun, and reminds me of when you were little. That must have been torture for Juliette though. She needs something extra special just for her. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your kids are doing gymnastics like you! I can't wait to put Annabelle in gymnastics and dance. It must be so fun to watch them :) And poor JuJu! How sad. Can she join them when she turns 3? Cause that's just around the corner!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute :) Bella is like a mini you Marie! And I can totally picture Liam doing gymnastics too!!

    And poor Juliette! That would be hard to sit and watch for 2 hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Juju! It's hard to be the baby, especially when you are SURE you're not a baby anymore! I really need to seriously think about gymnastics for Kennedy next year....she would absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor, sweet Juliette! Liam lookalike he's pretty good. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email