Monday, March 18, 2013

Cancun Part 3: Chichen Itza!

IMG_8735Cancun2013
Cancun2013-11
IMG_8895Cancun2013
Cancun2013-6
IMG_8782Cancun2013
Cancun2013-7
IMG_8788Cancun2013
IMG_8852Cancun2013
IMG_8796Cancun2013
IMG_8857Cancun2013
Cancun2013-22
IMG_8861Cancun2013
Cancun2013-21
IMG_8889Cancun2013
Cancun2013-23

Initially, it was really quite hard for me to get excited about going to Chichen Itza (one of the seven wonders of the world!), but only because I'd just finally been reunited with my family in Cancun. Leaving my children on my second day there, wasn't exactly my idea of a great time, even if it was just for a day. But it was pretty much now or never, and I found great comfort in knowing they were in good, good hands with their Grandma and Grandpa.

In hindsight, though, I'm so, so glad that we went! It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I feel like my grasp of the Book of Mormon became all the more visual in my mind, setting foot where it's likely the Nephites and Lamanites in the Book of Mormon lived. It was amazing to see these Mayan ruins, mostly temples, uncovered. Seriously, eye opening and breathtakingly beautiful in it's own way.

What made our tour all the more enjoyable was our Mormon tour guide, named Lemuel. If you're familiar with the Book of Mormon at all, then you know that Lemuel wasn't the best guy in the book--not the worst by any means, but he had a bad attitude and was really mean to his brother, Nephi. He was even visited by an angel and was still a big grump about the gospel of Jesus Christ. So anyway, it was quite amusing that our tour guide's name was Lemuel! He told us in his Spanish accent that he asked his mother, "Why you name me Lemuel? Don't you know who Lemuel was?"

And his mother said to him, "I ran out of good Book of Mormon names (he has brothers named Nephi and Sam etc.), and I like the name Lemuel. We see how you do."

It turns out Lemuel, the tour guide, has done very well with that name. He actually loves it, and even named his own son, Lemuel, who is serving a mission for our church right now. Anyway, we really loved him, and would highly recommend him to anyone!

So yes, Will and I had a wonderful time together. I soak up any alone time with my best friend, and this was an adventure I won't soon forget. I even jumped in (a freezing) natural spring with him. It was gorgeous. Of course, my camera died when we got there, but at least I had my phone to snap a few pics of that!

So long, Chichen Itza. You're now one of my favorite wonders of the world...

5 comments:

  1. Love it! The name sort made me giggle. And, as usual, gorgeous pictures. I'm glad you jumped on the opportunity to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally wanna go there now! It looks so beautiful. And your pictures are stunning, as usual :) And you'll have to send me the link to where you got your swimsuit. I really want a cute black one this summer :) And you look HOT, as usual ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancun looks so amazing. I want to go so bad!! love all these pictures. So cool your tour guide was named Lemuel too. That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen the backyardigans episode called Chichen Itza Pizza? You should really look it up...totally the same as your visit. :)
    That picture through the vines of the blue, blue water....yeah. You're amazing and so is that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too loved visiting Chichen Itza. Such an eye-opening experience and yes, it brought so many things to real life for me. When we went they still allowed visitors to climb the temple and the view from the top was AMAZING. There are hidden ruins as far as your eye can see lost in that jungle. Anyways, it was wonderful reading this post. It brought back so many wonderful memories. Of course, I totally have to go back now to jump in that spring, and your tour guide sounds hilarious! How fun for the both of ytou to get to go on that little adventure!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email