Monday, April 1, 2013

Shots.


I know that immunizations can be a touchy subject, and I'm not posting about shots to get into that. But for whatever it's worth, when Liam was a baby, Will and I decided that we'd hold off on immunizations until he was two years old and then pick and choose which immunizations we felt important to do. Anyway! While I still feel like that was the right decision for us, we didn't execute our plan like we intended to. It wasn't until Liam was four (and Juliette two) that we actually started with the whole process of getting him his shots (as well as catching up on Isabella and getting Juliette started). I feel bad about that, especially in Liam's case! It's hard on a four-year-old boy to have to get shots!

So, to get on with the story, we've been on a pretty rigorous shot schedule to get the kids all caught up on their immunizations. Every time we go to an appointment, it seems like their level of hysterics goes up a notch, and I honestly have knots in my own stomach leading up to the appointments because I don't know how I'm going to get through it as their mother. It has been straight awful.

Well, I'm so happy to report that our most recent appointment took a turn for the better.

I never tell the kids they have a shot appointment because I know they'll just worry and cry all day, and I don't want to deal with melt downs until we're actually in the doctor's office. I seriously wonder if I could manage getting them there if they knew where we were going beforehand.

This last time, Isabella looked completely ill as we sat in the waiting area. I still hadn't come out and said, "You're all getting shots today." But, of course, she knew. Liam kept saying, "Please, Mommy! Tell me why we are here!" And I kept saying, "I'll tell you in a few minutes."

(If this is terrible parenting, you'll have to just excuse me.)

Before long, their names were called and we got into the doctor's office and they all immediately saw the tray of shots with their names on them, so there was no need for me to finally announce why we were there.

"Who wants to go first?" the nurse asked.

I looked at the kids.

"I do!" said Liam courageously.

I was speechless. I went over to him, to help him get onto the table.

"Wait!" he said. I figured he was changing his mind, so I told the nurse that Juliette would go first.

"No, wait! I want to go first! I just want to say a prayer first."

He then immediately closed his eyes tight, folded his arms and said the most sincere prayer out loud. Dear Heavenly Father, Please help the shots not to hurt. I was bursting with pride as I watched him shamelessly and fervently pray out loud to his Heavenly Father, and then climb onto the table, so full of faith.

As I hugged him and put my face right up to his, he looked into my eyes and said, "Mommy, I'm scared."

"You are so brave. Just look into my eyes and it will be over in a few seconds."

He did, and then it was over. He only flinched as they gave him the shot, and then said with a big smile, "That didn't really hurt!"

And there I witnessed the answer to a child's prayer. It was so beautiful. I know I'll never forget it. As the girls watched Liam, I could tell they felt braver, too. They all stepped right up to the table to get their shots. I can't say Isabella and Juliette didn't cry, but it was amazing to me that there was no screaming and flailing. We were out of that office in less than ten minutes, and I've never been so happy to buy them a treat!

16 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest story. It brought tears to my eyes. What a great example he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry, too. I'm pretty sure that story indicates what a GOOD mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so sweet, that does show what a great mom you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the tears. What a sweet, good boy you have. Isn't it amazing to see their strong little spirits peek through in those little moments that mean everything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet. Go Liam! :D And I agree... that story shows how great you are at parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that was the sweetest thing I have ever heard. I love that he did that! It made me tear up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that boy is golden. What a beautiful story :) you are an amazing mom, and my heart just swells with love for your sweet babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this experience was just what my heart and soul needed to read today. I am so touched and impressed. He has a wonderful family that is teaching him true principles that will strengthen him his whole life. He will love you telling that story for generations. No wonder we are all supposed to be like little children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me in tears! What a beautiful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally made me cry too. What a sweet boy and a sweet spirit he has!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just goes to show what great examples he has as parents. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is so sweet and brave! This made me tear up too! You are such a wonderful mom Marie! And what a great example he is. :) Love him so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story! Totally had me in tears too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tears! What a special moment. I'm glad you wrote it down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet boy. He's turning to the right places for strength and comfort. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness this is such a sweet story! I have goosebumps! What a good example he is to his sisters. And what an amazing mom you are! So precious!

    ReplyDelete

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Popular Posts

Follow by Email